Best Way To Attract Dog Owners To Your Property
A little over 70% of the rental market now comes with dogs in tow. This trend is not letting up anytime soon. If you want to be competitive in the marketplace, you might consider making adjustments to your properties’ common areas. It might also, be a smart move to update some of your units ammenties. Open yourself up to opportunities by installing and/or offering dog friendly units. It’ll offer you a competitive edge in attracting new renters, instead of limiting your potential lessees. Here are some ideas to help you become a dog friendly rental location.
1) If your property has a laundry room, you can consider putting in a washbasin on the floor where your residents can wash their dogs. There are companies out there now which make specific pet-friendly wash basins which are easy to maintain. They are designed to capture any loose pet hair before it goes in down the drain.
2) When you are turning your units, consider flooring which would be most suitable for a dog. Hard surface flooring is especially favorable.
3) Think about your open areas, and converting them into dog runs. You could fence in the area, and create a nice place for dogs to play and exercise. Manufactures have developed artificial grass specifically for this purpose. Be sure to have water always available for tired pooches on hand afterwards.
4) Consider creating a partnership with a Dog Daycare facility. This could include, but not limited to drop off and pick up at residents' apartments and home training sessions to name a few.
5) Hire an in house dog walker. It’s a great amenity to offer your residents. Or create partnerships with local dog walkers, who may offer a discount to your residents.
6) Work with a local veterinarian willing to make house calls
7) Create a Facebook page for the dog owners in your property to meet, and book playdates for their fur babies.
8) Hold the occasional meet and greet for all the dog owners in the building. It’s great way to get together, and also introduce their dogs to one another.
9) Include some dog friendly items (treats, toys, shampoo, etc…) in the welcome gift basket to a new tenant.
These are just a few things you can do to make your property attractive to this ever growing group of renters and their canine family. We do recommend that you require pet insurance of some kind. We all have bad days, where we are a bit grumpy and may lash out. Be sure you, as the property owner, are covered.